Saturday, September 23, 2006

Deep in the woods

A friend last week told me he was headed into the woods last weekend because a canoe was the only way he could get to one of his favorite fishing spots. I was inspired by his description and tried to imagine what it would be like.



11 x 14, Watercolor on 90 lb. India watercolor paper

Price: ??

An artist's note

Sometimes, as a painter, I just want to experiment. I caught this watercolor paper on sale last week and wanted to try it with a familiar subject. The paper is thinner and softer than what I usually use (I'm an Arches 140 lb. man normally), but I thought I would give it a try. The paper buckles when wet since I don't pre-stretch. So, while that can be irritating if you want to maintain complete control, it can also have interesting effects.

I'm not a good judge of my own work. Sometimes things I like or am satisfied with draw yawns (or worse) from others. Sometimes things I find mediocre get a big thumbs up. Is this one any good? You be the judge.

(This is an original piece, not a print.)

No comments: