Saturday, December 16, 2006

Christmas cards past (part 4)

(See Christmas cards past, part 1, part 2, part 3)



The Christmas cards I painted to send to friends in 2002 were another eclectic (and inexplicible) collection of subjects that ranged from Scotland to western Alabama, with a couple of stops in the Great Smoky Mountain national park in between.

The waterfall is pretty much a creation of my head, but it is something like several you might see in the Smokies, most notably Abrams Falls.

The red church is a delightful building in Prairieville, Alabama -- an Episcopal church that was built in the 19th century. My friend Guy Hubbs knows all about this stuff in that area, and he took us there one day.

I can't really explain the Interlochy castle painting except that I once lived in Scotland and spent a lot of time in the Highlands. I was trying to capture the richness of the scenery there, but I'm not sure that I was very successful. Still, it was worth a try, and some of my long-suffering friends must have opened this one and scratched their heads.

I paint multiple copies of these scenes and usually wind up sending our 20 to 30 cards. People seem to like them, and some tell me they have the whole collection, although my wife says they are just being nice.

I'll be posting more shortly.


5 x 7, watercolor on Arches 140 CP

Price: not for sale

About the paintings

I usually do three or four of one scene at a time. They take about an hour to draw and paint.

No comments: