Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Roses in a vase

My wife says I should do more still lifes. So, that's one of my New Year's resolutions: "Do more still lifes."

Here's the first:



I gave my wife a Waterford crystal vase for Christmas. We moved into a new house this fall, and we have a dining room in the front of the house that gets a lot of morning sun. I thought the vase would look good there, catching a lot of sun rays.

Sally bought a couple of roses, set it all in the middle of her grandmother's diningr oom table, and I got inspired. I did one painting, which was ok, but I wasn't satisfied with the background, so -- in a rarity for me -- I did it again. I am more satisfied with this one.

I need more practice at this still life thing.


About the painting


The paper for this painting comes out of a book of Daler-Rowney 200 lb. paper that I caught on sale at the end of the summer. The paper is very nice to work with -- good absorbancy and transparency both.

8 x 10 watercolor, 200 lb paper

(The painting is a bit brighter than it shows up in this photo.)

Price: Not for sale

No comments: